WELCOME TO BEAUTIFUL BROKEN SHELLS

Here you will find stories, vignettes,
memoirs, and such pertaining to the seashore.
Most of the stories are of places I have been to and have fond remembrances.
Other writings are ones I hope you will find interesting or enlightening.
I love the beautiful ocean that gives us a sense of peace and tranquility.
It warms and heals us, it can be exhilarating and powerful,
making us realize in the scheme of things how small we really are.
Let’s find the perfect spot to sit and breathe in the salt ocean breezes
and feel the gentle ocean spray gently caress our face.
Let’s feel the sand between our toes…
Ahhhhh... we are here!
Can you see the sailboats in the distance,
can you hear the seagulls overhead?!






Wednesday, August 10, 2011

MAINE OCTOPUS STORY



MY MAINE SHORE OCTOPUS STORY!

When I was about five or six I went to my Godmother’s home in Maine with my family for a vacation. She either owned or rented a large old Victorian style summer home with her sister. I think they were spinsters. My mother was friends with one of the sister, but somehow they drifted away over the years. It was painted white with black trim and it had a porch with wicker furniture in green and cushioned seats with a flower pattern. There were three stories and a low picket type fence in front. It had a huge yard which came to an abrupt extremely steep cliff overlooking the ocean. There were pretty rambling rose vines and a double swing I so loved, with a place to put drinks too.

The garden as I remember, had wild flowers and the property was very shaded. I remember the sunsets being so pretty against the beautiful pine trees silhouetted against the sky. I so enjoyed the sound of the waves breaking against the rocks during the day, and with our windows opened at night. It was hot during the day, but the ocean breeze cooled me, and it got actually cold at night. Funny, I don't remember eating anything there. LOL! Maybe we lived on the salt water air and drinks!

The view was breathtaking, during the day, and ever so tempting for a young child to want to peer over to see the waves crashing against the cliffs. However, although I was an obedient child, I was a very quick and impetuous and as my Mother stated, “I was so quick and ran like the wind”! I am sure my parents envisioned me being my Sanguine self running like a free bird or twirling in circles while dancing, and dropping right off the end of the cliff.

Steep Cliffs at Maine Coast







Running like the wind!

Gorgeous View

Vintage Swing

Sunset in Maine

In the 1950’s parents had not taken psychology courses for raising children and sometimes the scare tactic was what was used. (Actually, Dr. Spock was popular back then with his permissive teachings. Thank God my parents thought he was full of hogwash, as so many children today raised by his methods in my opinion are rebellious and out of control .. I guess better late than never as he stated he was wrong years later .. too late for many children).

The Scary Octopus

Artist Thomas Kincade the Painter of Light's adaption of scary Octopus!


My parents were loving, but my Mother’s fear for my safety caused her to tell me not to ever go to the edge of the cliff without her or my Dad present, or a huge ugly octopus would be lurking ready to take me away to the sea. YIKES!!! I am surprised I wasn’t traumatized for life… hahaha! I was absolutely terrified of that cliff after her warning. I didn’t even want to be there with my parents after that, just in case the octopus was waiting for me! I think I was fully grown before I realized my Mother had made up the story to protect me!

It made me laugh so hard, when I became aware of the truth, and ever since that time, I have had great fun looking for jewelry with octopus and always enjoy wearing my treasures. In fact, when I started designing my own jewelry, I was delighted to find a darling sterling silver octopus to work with in creating the necklace set shown below. I planned to keep it for myself, but someone saw it on me at one of our shows and had to have it.

You can see it in our artfire.com shop if interested. There is a button on my site entitled "SHOP" that will take you there and look under the GALLERY. All our creations are one of a kind, no two are alike, but I may be able to make something similar, perhaps in another color, if I can still find any more adorable octopus to work with.

OCTOPUS’S DELIGHT NECKLACE CREATED BY ME! SOLD



STUNNING AND WHIMSICAL LAMPWORK OCTOPUS NECKLACE AVAILABLE IN OUR SHOP


kitchenandresidentialdesign.com Amazing Chandelier


Years later the Beatles came out with their famous song Octopus’s Garden. I loved this song and it had special meaning to me because of my “Cliff Story” in Maine. Here are the words to the song, and I have added the YouTube site for you to hear this song along with a cute video below, please double click right below here as the lettering is so light to take you to the site!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgPqmRNjoTE&feature=related


Chandelier Green


















OCTOPUS’S GARDEN SONG
The Beatles released 1969
I'd like to be, under the sea
In an octopus' garden in the shade
He'd let us in, knows where we've been
in his octupus' garden, in the shade.

I'd ask my friends to come and see
An octopus' garden with me
I'd like to be under the sea
In an octopus' garden in the shade.

We would be warm, below the storm
In our little hideaway beneath the waves
Resting our head, on the sea bed
In an octopus' garden near a cave

We would sing and dance around
because we know we can't be found
I'd like to be under the sea
In an octopus' garden in the shade















We would shout(out) and swim about
The coral that lies beneath the waves
(Lies beneath the ocean waves)
Oh what joy for every girl and boy
Knowing they're happy and they're safe
(Happy and they're safe)


We would be so happy you and me
No one there to tell us what to do
I'd like to be under the sea
In an octopus' garden with you
In an octupus' garden with you
In an octupus' garden with you.


A note from a reviewer of this song named Jack 1/13/10 - This song was written by Ringo Starr after he temporarily left the Beatles for their not acknowledging his song writing abilities. During this time he spent time on a boat with a friend of his. He had ordered fish and chips but instead got squid and his friend had said that octopus actually make gardens of objects they find on the sea floor. And this is a good song regardless Harrison also helped with the composition of this song.

I have been to Main several times since that first childhood experience, in fact I was just there a year ago with my sweet husband Joe.. more on that at another time.. but, I cannot ever go back there without looking for a prize Octopus jewelry piece to take home as a rememberance! But alas, very few exist, so I now come home with Maine Blueberry items, such as soap and coffee.

Purple Octopus Chandelier


















My story it copyrighted
donnatrex@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment